The Middle Lock, Goole, 17.2.1862. On reverse of the second copy - 'An artist's impression of "Middle Lock" Goole, about 1885, although the style of the lithograph depicts a somewhat earlier date, probably about 1850-60, or even earlier. "Middle" Lock was in fact Ship Lock which was opened on 20th July 1826, together with Barge Lock. After teh construction of Ouse Lock in 1838, Ship Lock then became the middle lock of the three. Hence the name "Middle Lock". THe lock was finally closed in 1956 and was completely filled in, in 1867, when the Ouse Dock development scheme was implemented.
Location : Box 7 - Lithographs
Reference : GOOWM:1991.153